Friday, March 25, 2011

Grammar

Why is it important? Well it is and it isn't.

While I have never claimed to be "good" at grammar, I have acquired enough skills to be successful in a professional environment. I am not talking about writing grammar, but more importantly spoken grammar.

I live in the heart of the south and have a true story for you.

I recently attended a function for middle school children. This function was 3.5 hours long and consisted of dinner, awards, praise, and somewhat of a sermon.

The overall message to the young kids was positive and the ceremony was entertaining. However, one thing stood out as an incredible dis-service to the children.

Wanna guess what?

I sat there, watched and listened to each speaker step up to the podium and give their speech which of course was riddled with horrible grammar mistakes. Horrible! How horrible?

"Stars do what it take"

"You must preservere" (not persevere)

"Athl a lete" (not Athlete) <--two syllables

These are only three examples of the hundreds that were spewed across the ears of the young children. Who were these speakers you ask? The speakers were teachers, coaches, a reverend, and the school principal. Yes, I said principal.

Why do I care?

Well....I felt extremely saddened. In attendance were young teens and even younger siblings being pelted by mistake after mistake by the very people that are supposed to teach them and be role models for them.

While the assault was being made, most parents were applauding the speaker and further emphasising the bad habits. I just felt like these are kids who are never going to know that this language is completely unacceptable in life, yet alone in a formal ceremony.

I have no delusions that kids should practice perfect grammar and speech when hanging around each other. However, kids should have the ability to "turn on" or "turn off" their proper grammar on demand or when the situation is warranted. Here is a whole group of kids (probably the entire school) who will grow up without this ability and think it is perfectly acceptable to speak in this fashion.

Ohhh, the deep south, you gotta love it.

Oh, and by the way, I've lived all over the world in my life as a military child. I can say with great certainty that this particular issue is most prevalent in the southeast united states.

How sad.

PS, I don't care if my blog has grammar mistakes, if your offended by it, make sure you read my first post. Then jump off a building.

No comments:

Post a Comment