Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sleep....Who needs it?

Apparently I do. I just found out that I have OSA "Obstructive Sleep Apnea".

If you wanna read up on it, more than you ever cared to learn about it can be found here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/obstructive-sleep-apnea/DS00968

Basically, it means you stop breathing several times PER HOUR. In my case somewhere around 15-25 times. Some have it really bad, like 120+ PER HOUR. It's amazing the human body can survive this.

For the past year I have been waking up with moderately severe headaches about 1-3 days a week. My doctor thought I was low on Iron and so I started taking iron supplements. This brought my iron levels back into the normal range but did not resolve the morning headaches.

So after my Sleep study (so much fun btw) I found that my O2 saturation levels were dropping to 81%....Well, that my friends causes a nice little whoop ass of a headache.

So, if you bothered to click on the OSA information that I made so easy for you to find, you will probably see that there are several treatments available. The least aggressive/invasive treatment is to start CPAP treatments (nope, your gonna have to google that yourselves) to resolve the OSA.

I have just started this process and while fairly confident at first, my first 3 nights have been anything but successful.

Stay tuned, I will document my journey into the land of the day walkers.

I leave you with a nice graphic:

No comments:

Post a Comment